Comilla University is a public university located at Kotbari Comilla, Bangladesh.  The university was constructed on 50 acres (200,000 m2) of land at Lalmai Bihar, Moynamoti. Comilla University is affiliated by University Grants Commission Bangladesh. Professor Dr. Golam Mowlah is the founder Vice-Chancellor of Comilla University and he was removed from university on July 30 2008 and Zulfikar Ali, a professor of mathematics of the university, was given the charge. The next vice-chancellor of Comilla University, Dr. A.K.M Zehadul Karim declared to resign on 7 October 2009 after violence. Professor Amir Hossen Khan, a professor of Physics department of Jahangirnagar University, was appointed as VC on 22 November 2009.
The chancellor of the university is President of Bangladesh Zillur Rahman. Its campus is declared as smoking & politics free. It started with 7 departments and in 2008 another department was added. Now there are a total of 8 departments including Computer Science & Engineering, Mathematics, Accounting & Information Systems, Marketing, Management Studies, Economics, Public Administration and English. Three more departments were announced to be opened from 2009.
Comilla Victoria Govt. College:
Comilla Victoria Govt. College is one of the oldest colleges in Comilla as well as Chittagong division. It is the pride of the people of Comilla. Landlord of that time Roy Bahadur Anandra Chandra Roy had established the college on 24 September,1899. Anandra Chandra Roy was a renowned patron of promoting and developing education in the district. He was a contractor by profession and accordingly set aside a large amount of money to establish a college for the development of higher education in Comilla.
Comilla Victoria College was thus born to fulfill his long cherished dream. In recognition of his noble endeavour th British Govt. awarded him the title Roy Bahadur after the establishment of the college. A white color sculpture was built in front of the main gate of intermediate section of the college to keep the memory of Roy Bahadur alive.
Reason behind the name of the college:
Queen Victoria was the Empress of India from 1876 to 1901. At that time, Comilla was also under the rule of the Empire hence the college was named as Comilla Victoria College.
Comilla Medical College:
Comilla Medical College is a medical college located in Comilla, Bangladesh. It is a Government medical college and admits 100 students into the 5 year MBBS degree programme.It was established in 1992. Till August 2009,13 batches have completed their Bachelors degree. A number of students from abroad are also studying in this institution. It s a renowned medical college of Bangladesh.
Comilla Cadet College:
Comilla Cadet College (CCC) was founded near the historic Moinamoti Bouddha-bihar in Kotbari, Comilla on 1 July 1983 . It was the youngest of the ten cadet colleges until the recent inaguarations of the two girl's cadet colleges in Feni & Jaipurhat. Like the other five post-1971 liberation war cadet colleges, CCC was also modified from a Residential Model School . The campus was made standard within a mere nine months by a skillful panel of educators and military officials including the founding Principal Lt. Col. Nurul Anwar (now Rtd.), Vice Principal Mr. Ashraf Ali, Mr. Nurul Haque, Taslim Uddin, Akhtar Alam, Humayun Kabir, Abdul Jabbar & Kamal Uddin Mohammad.
The then Adjutant General of Bangladesh Army, Maj. Gen. Abdus Samad P.S.C. officially opened CCC on 7 April 1984 . That very day, CCC greeted 150 cadets in 3 random intakes. On 18 May, fifth intake and on 22 November, second intake followed. The subsequent arrival of sixth intake later in the year satisfied the enrollment need of three hundred and CCC began its journey in full swing.
Despite its short existence so far, CCC is hailed as one of the greatest institutions of pre-university education in Bangladesh . A military preparatory school, CCC has numerous graduates join the country's armed forces some even go on to achieve the highest accolades such as Sword of Honor or Osmani Shornopodok at Bangladeshi military institutes. Academically, few other schools in the region have come close. There have been years when CCC cadets secured more than fifteen top positions in national high school tests. This tradition of excellence continues.
Ispahani Public School & College:
Ispahani Public School & College, Comilla Cantonment is one of the prime institutions of the area/region. The institution has successfully completed more than 45 years. During this time the institution transformed many brilliant students in to worthy citizens who are now well established in the society. The institution has been successful in creating a tradition in quality
teaching which has become a pride possession of all Ispahanians.
Results of S.S.C & H.S.C exams have all along been commendable. It stands on 9.3 acres of land at the north-east corner of the main Cantonment. It is about 100 yards to the south of the Dhaka-Comilla-B Baria road- junction. The College has a spectacular building to house the academic classes and the hostel. The motto of the College is "Enter to learn. Leave to serve"
Cantonment Public School was initially set up in Comilla Zilla School located in the Comilla Town in September 1962. It was an English Medium Co-education School starting from KG-1 to class X. The history of its development is as under:
- It was shifted to present Cantt Board High School location in Jan 1963.
- Hostel facility was introduced in Apr 1963 using the Engineers Battalion Line in the Cantonment presently 101 Brigade Sainik Line.
- The first batch appeared at the SSC exam in 1964.
- Renamed as Mainamati Public School in June 1965.
- The foundation stone was laid by Maj Gen Fazal Muqueem Khan, GOC 14 Division.
- Late Mr Mirza Ahmed Ispahani constructed the present building and the school was renamed as Ispahani Public School in Sep 1966.
- During the War of Liberation the school was closed and used as a concentration camp. Lt Col Amil, a non-Bengalee officer, was the Principal at that time. Eleven teachers of the School were killed by the Pakistani Army.
- It re-started in Feb 1972 as Bengali Medium Co-Educational School.
- A separate Intermediate College was set up in Jul 1975 in the Cantt Boys School.
- The College was merged with the School in Oct 1975 and finally named Ispahani Public School and College.
- Degree classes on science and arts were opened in 1995 with only 12 students and were closed down in 1996.
- On establishment of the Kindergarten School in the Cantt in Dec 1997, the Nursery and KG classes had been dropped from the school.
- Admission to the hostel was closed in Jan 1998 for students' poor standard of discipline which caused a fall of income and the hostel was re-started in July - 1999.
- An English Medium Section in Class VI started from the academic session 2005.
- A Lt Col from AEC is being posted as Principal Since Nov 1999.
Comilla Zilla School:
Comilla Zilla School is one of the oldest schools in the country. It is situated in the center of Comilla, was established in 1837 by an English named H. G. Legister. It was governmentalized as a high school by the Government of British India for teaching English literature and Science and named as Comilla Zilla School. In the 1850s the school building expanded and improved its teaching structure.
This is a boy's school. Initially the school conducted only one shift. From 1991 two shifts were introduced: morning and day. Presently all the classes from 5 to 10 are running. There are six sections in each of the classes-A', B', C', and A', B' and C' for class five to eight where A', B' and C' are in morning shift and day shift. There are Two sectionsin nine & ten,they are "A"and "B" And 60 students in each of the sections according
to the present system.
For class nine and ten students are distributed into four sections following the same structure with a larger number of students in a class. Almost 1400 students are studying in the school with 53 teachers.
Usually students are admitted in class 5 and 6. Admission can be considered in other classes if a vacancy is available or if someone is transferred from some other government school. The admission test is usually taken in the first week of January.
Dhirendranath Datta: Bengali lawyer who was also active in the politics of undivided Bengal in pre-partition India, and later in East Pakistan (1947-1971). On February 23, 1948, in the Pakistan Constituent Assembly in Karachi, Dhirendranath, as a member of Pakistan National Congress, made a speech calling for Bengali to be made one of the official languages of Pakistan. He served as the Minister of Health and Social Welfare (East Pakistan) in Ataur Rahman Khan's cabinet (1956-58).
A.K.M.Ali Akber Khan: gold medalist teacher, founder Comilla cultural complex, founder Convenar Comilla B-para association, former secretary International Older Welfare Association. Former secretary Government Retired Welfare Association.
Bangladesh Academy for Rural Development (BARD):
Bangladesh Academy for Rural Development (BARD), Comilla is located at Kotbari, a rural area along the Mainamati-Lalmai (one of the archeological sites of Bangladesh) hill range in Comilla district at a distance of about 100 kilometers from the capital city of Dhaka. The sprawling campus covers an area of 156 acres of land including undulating hilly terrain and valleys. A large part of the campus is orchards, vegetable farms, nurseries, parks and roads lined with shady tropical trees.
The office and the residential buildings have been designed and located in harmony with the topography and surrounding landscape. The well-planned layout of the institution and green landscape give the campus a serene and idyllic beauty.
The Academy was established in 1959 basically as a training institute to train government officials and representatives of the local government and village organizations in various subjects relating to rural development.
It is an autonomous institution governed by a Board of Governors of which the Minister for Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives is the Chairperson. Administratively, it is attached to the Ministry of Local Government, Rural Development and Cooperatives. The Board of Governors formulates policies and the Director General of BARD as the Chief Executive implements the policies and conducts the day-to-day affairs within the framework of the ordinance and Service Rules of the Academy. The activities of the Academy carry out by its Faculty working in 9 Divisions each of which is headed by a Director. The Divisions are divided into two broad categories : Service Divisions and Academic Divisions. The Service Divisions include Training; Research; Project; and Administration. The Academic Divisions are Rural Administration and Local Government; Rural Economics and Management; Rural Education and Social Development; Rural Sociology and Demography; and Agriculture and Environment.
The strength of the faculty is 60 including the Director General, Additional Director General, 9 Directors, 14 Joint Directors, 13 Deputy Directors and 22 Assistant Directors. 305 supporting officials and staff assist them.
The Academy is famous for its evolved model Comilla Approach to Rural Development in home and abroad; and received National Award in 1986 for its remarkable contribution in Rural Development.
Comilla Polytechnic Institute:
Comilla Polytechnic Institute (CPI) a largest and reputed Government polytechnic institute in Bangladesh which was established in 1962. This polytechnic has controlled by the Government of Bangladesh and under the Bangladesh Technical Education Board (BTEB)
Comilla Polytechnic Institute (CPI) provide 4 years Diploma in Engineering Course under the (BTEB) as maintaining International Standard
There are six departments in CPI:
- Computer Technology
- Civil Technology.
- Electrical Technology
- Electronics Technology.
- Mechanical Technology.
- Power Technology.
- Banglapedia (National Encyclopedia of Bangladesh)